Tuesday, December 6, 2011

BP oil spill


I think that yesterday all of the groups that presented did a really good job. Out of the three groups that did present, I enjoyed the group that discussed the BP oil spill the most. The reason I liked this one was not that they necessarily did any better than the other groups but I think the topic they presented is most relevant. The BP oil spill was a massive catastrophe that had an immense negative impact on so many people all over the country. The effects of the spill were not limited to those who had to deal with cleaning the spill. I think that it was highly irresponsible for BP to do what they did to allow for this to happen. As the group explained BP could have taken more preventative measures to ensure something like this did not happen. Not only did BP fail to avoid this incident, but once it occurred they did a terrible job of taking care of it on multiple levels. First, they could have been speedier in the manner they acted to block the leak and stop oil from pouring into the ocean.  Also BP was not very apologetic to those this affected. They could have taken more responsibility for the situation they caused. Another point on this topic is that I do not think BP was held as liable as they should have been for the damage they caused. Not only did they cause an environmental disaster but they also had a huge negative impact on the economy. They put many in the Gulf Coast area out of work and essentially halted the productivity of this area. I think that the government should have been harder on BP in the way they were punished. It is unacceptable that an event like this can happen with all of the safeguards available.

2 comments:

  1. I found this presentation interesting, but at the same time I found it not interesting. I thought the video at the beginning was not very effective. The song didn't fit the video very well. On the other side I thought identified very well BP's lack of leadership here. They failed to notify anything that this event was occuring. I agree with you that the government should have been a lot harder on BP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree, I thought the video at the beginning was very effective. It is one thing to say how catastrophic the oil spill and its related effects were, but to show how catastrophic of an event it actually was makes everything much more believable. Since the video had all depressing pictures of animals covered in oil and sludge, I think the song was appropriate since it too was very somber. I think the somber song choice reinforced how sad this spill actually was. The video was also made by the group, which shows the group opted to make their presentation unique by being creative.

    ReplyDelete