Friday, December 9, 2011

Make up: Penn State Scandal


Since I missed a post a few weeks ago and I wanted to discuss this issue, I’m going to discuss my thoughts on the recent Penn State scandal.  First, I’d like to say this should have waited a few weeks to happen because it would have been a great topic to do the group project on since there were so many organizational issues dealing with what happened. It is a terrible thing that happened, if everything Jerry Sandusky is being accused of took place, which it definitely seems that it did. I think that the leadership at Penn State did a terrible job of handling this issue. Since there were trials regarding this matter long before it became publicized, people obviously knew what was going on. The fact that they did not take immediate action was highly irresponsible. I guess people thought that the issue would just go away if they did not do anything about it. Because of the  neglect to take action, the board of trustees was put in a position to do something once it did become publicized. The actions they took were very hasty and in my opinion not only did nothing to resolve the issue but punished the wrong people. The fact that Joe Paterno was fired came as a shock to me. He was made guilty by association and unjustly fired. What really bothers me about this issue is the fact that he said he was going to resign at the end of the season. With how much dedication he has had to Penn State and everything he has done for the school over the years, it is really disappointing that he went out with no dignity thanks to those trying to do damage control. I think that firing Joe Paterno did more harm to Penn State than good, especially after the reaction of the students.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with your belief that Paterno was fired unjustly. I watched some of the press conference with the board of trustees the night he was fired, and the vice president of the board explicitly said that Paterno was fired before all of the facts were known. If this isn't injustice, then I don't know what is. The vice president clearly proved on national television that Paterno did not deserve to get fired. That football team was his life, and I feel so bad for him knowing that was taken away from him.

    ReplyDelete