Friday, December 9, 2011

Virginia Tech

Yesterday there was a police officer killed at Virginia Tech. When I first heard about this I instantly thought of the massacre that took place a few years ago. Luckily what took place was not as bad as this but it is still a tragedy that there was a police officer killed. This morning I was reading an article about the shooting and it discussed that within minutes the entire campus was on lockdown and everyone was aware of what was happening. This was able to be accomplished because after the first shooting there were plans set in place for an emergency like this. The article explained that this is partly because some said the school was not prepared enough and did not properly respond to the first incident. I think that it is pretty impressive that within such a short time the entire school had been alerted of what was going on. This made me wonder if Ship would be able to properly handle a situation like this. I know the school has things such as the emergency text message system in place but I don’t think this would be enough to alert everyone on campus. I’m guessing there are a lot of students and staff that are not signed up for this program. A friend told me about a time they pushed an emergency button on campus for a minor emergency they had. The said it was several minutes before anyone showed up. This makes me question how prepared we would be if something terrible like this was to happen at our school.

No comments:

Post a Comment