Through our discussion on Monday regarding the case we have been assigned I realized that the four theories on motivation we have learned about are pretty sufficient to explain essentially any situation regarding why we are motivated, or not motivated to do something. I think that Maslow’s hierarchy of needs is a good model to help understand the psychological aspect behind our decisions. I know all of these theories are based at least somewhat on psychology, but I feel as if this one relates very closely to what we value within ourselves. Even though we are all similar in that we all need these same needs fulfilled, we all go about fulfilling them in different ways. Also I think that some of us may be able to fulfill certain needs easier than others. By this I mean that people may be able to fulfill needs at any level of the hierarchy rather than having to fulfill them in a specified order. I think that the hygiene motivation theory is the most interesting theory that we discussed. The thing I found surprising about this theory is that salary is considered a hygiene factor. By it being categorized as this it means that people do not see it as a motivator. Before we discussed this theory I thought that it would have been the most motivating factor there was. After the discussion however, it makes sense that people will be more motivated by factors other than money. Up to a certain point, money will not motivate someone. Ways in which to get them to be more productive are to do things such as give them opportunities for achievement and recognition. I think that the equity theory is a good tool to help explain motivation related to workplace inequality. It makes sense that people who putting in the same amount of effort but not receiving as much in return will feel they are getting the raw end of a deal. Because of this, it is logical that they would take steps to make their equity ratio equal to that of others.
I was shocked when I found out that salary was not a motivator. To me, the more money that I make the harder of a job I want to do. You think this would be true because the company is paying you more therefore they expect a lot from you. I would almost be embarrassed to provide my company I was working for with poor performance. This can also be related to the YouTube view we watched in class. If you pay people enough to not think about money so they can focus on other work you wil not have problems with employees.
ReplyDelete