When I was reading the articles in preparation for today’s discussion I was not really following along that well. Two of the articles I found kind of difficult to follow along with, and did not have a very good understanding when I was done reading them. After the discussion we had in class though, I feel as if I understood them pretty well. There were three different sets of ideals that we discussed. In the pursuit of self interest I can see why someone might favor any of these doctrines over another. Obviously if you are looking out for yourself a Machiavellian approach would seem quite logical. By using this method you are going to benefit more than anyone else. Not only do you benefit from this but it is going to help ensure a perpetual benefit. I think that the Wal-Mart example we used points this out pretty well. The fact that the company is exploiting their employees to benefit another group shows their disregard for all stakeholders of the company. Also the fact that they are spending such a large amount of money to give the façade of actually being a caring company exemplifies one of the main points in the Machiavellian ideal. With regards to the Agent approach taken by Lincoln, I think there is an interesting dynamic going on here. Although I do think that all of what Lincoln conveyed in his message is truly how he felt, I feel that the justifications for his actions could be twisted if used by others to seem as if they are doing what is right, but actually to be in self interest. Lincoln said the only reason he wanted to free the slaves (a self interest of his) was that in would help achieve saving the Union (agent duty). By using a justification system like this it is apparent how someone could act as if they are performing their agent duties but actually acting with their own interests in mind. Even though the Agent and Platonic ideals seem as if they are acting for the good of all, I feel as if though there is a paradox and they are inherently flawed to allow for those in charge to act to benefit themselves. An example of this is with the Platonic way of doing things. If there is an elite group that is chosen to make the decisions for a group, it is natural that those in the position of power will not want to give up this power and will act in a way to perpetuate that power.
No comments:
Post a Comment