I think that our discussion today about equity theory is something that everyone can relate to. It seems pretty logical that in our social interactions we would want to at least attempt to convey a sense of equality if we have the better end of the relationship. Considering we focused more on if we are receiving the less advantageous end of a deal this is what I will focus on. I have experienced something similar to the example we discussed in class of being paid less than coworkers. I found out that people who were working at my job much shorter than I had been were being paid more than me. Even though the amount they were making more than me was very small, this frustrated me a great deal. I considered myself a very loyal, hard working employee and I felt cheated by my circumstances. Even though I definitely think that the equity theory is valid and I agree that one would want to equal their equity ratio with others, this is not really how I felt about the situation. I didn’t really fell that I should put less effort into my work just because I was not making less than some of my coworkers. I think an explanation for this is that, since it was a pretty menial job that did not require a great deal of effort or mental exertion I had an outlook that I am already stuck at work so I mine as well just do my job since it might take as much effort to consciously slack off. This makes me think that equity theory and equity ratios may be more applicable to work and jobs that require more effort and/or mental capacity. Even though I mentioned this point in my last post I think it is worth noting the fact that money is not the always the most motivating factor for people. I think it is very interesting that up to a certain point it will be but once that point is reached people want to gain things that are going to be valued from within.
I think it was advantageous for us to explore this particular theory. However I am a little skeptical as to some of the interactions within the theory itself. The one aspect that I'm skeptical about would be the dissonance felt by the individual getting the better end of the deal. I don't understand why he should or does feel like their needs to be a balance, especially if there is no interpersonal relationship between the two. Someone who makes a large sum of money e.g. manager and someone who makes a decent sum less e.g. employee, technician. It really puzzles me as to why the manager should care at all why he's getting paid more than his underlings. I'm sure the theory is sound academically but I really need to see strong evidence of this part repeated many times before I will come to believe it.
ReplyDelete