I think that the activity we did in class on Monday was yet again another good activity to show the importance of how to properly make decisions. It seemed as if a majority of the class got more questions wrong than right. I got many of these questions wrong myself. When answering the questions I felt as if I thought through them pretty well, although this apparently was not the case. It seemed as if many of these questions could be answered using common sense, but to find the correct answer you had to look deeper than what seemed obvious. For many of the problems I tried to use math to help get the right answer. My approach seemed logical but it was not until review of the questions that, for the most part, without substantial knowledge of statistics some of these questions would prove more difficult than they first seemed. I thought it was interesting that for some of these questions, some of the information within them could lead you astray from the correct answer. What seemed to be important information for decision making was often irrelevant and only led to an incorrect conclusion. This is why it is important to take into consideration all of the biases that we discussed while reviewing these questions. If you are not aware of these biases this could lead to an improper decision. Something that I noticed about these biases is that many of them seemed to be related to things we already know in one way or another. This is why it is important when involved in decision making to take every situation as independent rather than making connection to other situations that may skew your clarity of the situation. This is not to say to not rely on experience and knowledge to assist in decision making but do not be lead astray by fallacies and biases when making decisions.
From what I can remeber about the in class assignment I got at least half of the answers wrong. I think it is important to see our bias and understand it. This allows us to develop a third eye as it were, so we can see past our bias and make truly rational decisions instead of picking what we think sounds the most correct. It will help us in all decision making situations and will be useful to us forever.
ReplyDeleteI got more than half of the questions wrong as well. I liked this activity a lot because you think you are logically figuring some of them out, and really the question is still tricking you. We need to realize we go off our biases in many of our decisions everyday, but sometimes that may not always be the best choice.
ReplyDeleteI think I got 3 questions right in this activity. Prior to this activity, I had no idea that heuristics had anything to do with the decisions made in this activity. I feel that knowing how much heuristics affect the decision making process will help us to make proper business decisions later in our career. I feel that the topic of heuristics is closely related to the subject of "Groupthink," and how some of the decisions discussed in that article may have been prevented if the individuals within the group were aware of heuristics.
ReplyDelete