Thursday, September 15, 2011

Personality

While reading the article on personality and taking the personalty tests I realized that I don't really agree with them. Although I don't fully trust in their methods I do think they can be somewhat useful in certain situations. For example, I do not think they can determine something such as how good of a worker someone may be. I do however think they may pick out certain traits of individuals to better understand something such as how they will fit in with a certain company's culture. I have taken the Myers Briggs test before for another one of my classes. I thought that if you know the background behind these tests and the general type of person you are and how you think, you will likely be able to determine the outcome before even taking the test. A "phenomenon" of these tests is that I think they are somewhat self fulfilling. I had to take this test for one of my accounting classes. Not too surprisingly myself along with over half the class fit into the personality type that fit "the typical accountant." this relates to my next point which is also a criticism of these types of tests. I think that if you are taking a test like this for something such as a job interview you are very likely (even if subconsciously) to answer the questions in a way that fits into the position you are applying for. For these reasons I don't think that these tests are completely accurate and they often create skewed results. 

Something I found interesting about this article was how the psychologist was able to make such an in depth interpretation of his subconscious based on the stories he made about the pictures. I had somewhat of a similar experience while reading the article. (this may not make sense to anyone other than me so sorry if you dont understand what I'm trying to explain)  While reading, about halfway through I thought to myself I am really not enjoying reading this and I dont really feel its relative to anything of importance to me. then I realized that I might feel this way because of my personality type, based on these tests, of wanting to be able to analyze information and come to a clear cut conclusion. An article on psychology does not really have a clear "answer" to it so this is probably where my frustration over this article comes from.

No comments:

Post a Comment